We’ve got a playdate with danger, as we return to the days of the Satanic Panic and its ironically formative attitudes about child’s play. The hysteria invaded every facet of American culture, including, strangely, the playroom. Over the years, American society has toyed with devil scares about your favorite childhood playthings, and so with the holiday season near we’ve brought in our friend Kyle from Super 7 to help us unbox those fears.
- Jezebel: Thank the Satanic Panic for Beetlejuice, The Addams Family, and the Golden Age of Creepy Kids’ Shit
- Super 7 toys website, Instagram
- Kyle Wlodyga website, Instagram
- Snopes: Pokémon Was Originally Designed for Satanists
- Gawker: The Duggars’ Homeschool Cult: Cabbage Patch Dolls Are Possessed By Satan
- DemonBuster.com: Troll Dolls
- Gizmodo: Don’t Make Toy Genitals Interactive
- Gizmodo: The Real Reason Chucky Is a Robot Now
GET IN TOUCH WITH BLACK MASS APPEAL
SATANIC BAY AREA
- Twitter (as @SatanicSF)
- TikTok: Daily Baphirmations
- Sign up for Satanic Bay Area’s newsletter
- Coffee Hour is the third Thursday of every month from 6 – 8 pm at Wicked Grounds in San Francisco!