Have yourself a creepy little Christmas with the most Satanic of holiday spirits, Krampus. This Eastern European figure speaks to a more sinister side of the holiday, appealing to Satanists as well as those tired of saccharine celebrations this time of year. Simone, Daniel, and Tabitha discuss his origins, how he evokes the darkness of the winter months, and why he’s surged in popularity in the United States in the past few years. (And pay attention, there’s a quiz at the end!) Also, Chicago gets the gift of religious pluralism for the holidays, and Satanic Bay Area gets ready to countdown to Year Zero.
Praise, condemnation, questions, and strategies for getting Jeff Goldblum to call us and let us talk to his cat can be sent to email@example.com.
- Leave a voicemail for the Black Mass Appeal call-in show! Call (415) 579-2055 and leave your question or comment – just state your name (whatever name you want that to be), where you’re from, keep it under 1-2 minutes, and try to stick to stuff that can spark conversation. It can be about Satanism, it can be about whatever! (If you can’t call, you can email us an mp3 clip of your “voicemail” at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Join us for our second Raising Hell movie night! Patreon backers are invited to watch the movie Krampus together with us on Friday, December 14th at 6:00 pm Pacific time / 9:00 pm Eastern. We will stream the movie via Rabb.it, so be sure to register ahead of time if you don’t already have an account.
- Satanic Bay Area’s tree at Christmas in the Park got. some. media. attention.
- Satanic Bay Area’s Anti-Christ(mas) party at PianoFight on Thursday, December 27th
- Hexennacht Scents – use code BLACKMASSAPPEAL for 13% off!
- Trading Spouses’ famous “God Warrior” “dark-sided” meltdown [YOUTUBE VIDEO]
- For Infernal Use Only: The Satanic Temple-Chicago Displays Holiday Monument In Illinois
- Smithsonian: The Origin of Krampus, Europe’s Evil Twist on Santa
- National Geographic: Who is Krampus? Explaining the horrific Christmas beast
- National Geographic: How Krampus, the Christmas ‘Devil,’ Became Cool
- Sacred Matters: Encountering Krampus: Can terror keep the holiday sacred? (by Joseph P. Laycock)
- New York Times: In Bavaria, Krampus Catches the Naughty [YOUTUBE VIDEO]
- Krampus in the Corner toy
- Bloody Disgusting: ‘Krampus’ Director Michael Dougherty Talks the Pagan Holiday, the Folklore of the Christmas Devil, and Scaring People into Spending Time with Their Family
- Bloody Disgusting: The 8 Different ‘Krampus’ Horror Films You Can Watch This Holiday Season
- Redbubble Blog: The History of the Krampus Card
GET IN TOUCH WITH BLACK MASS APPEAL