In 17th-century Salem Village and Salem Town, women (and men) (and dogs) were accused of making a pact with Satan and signing his black book. The witch trials that followed are a historical spectacle surrounded by misconceptions and our modern interpretation of events. Your hosts Simone, Daniel, Tabitha, and Roman discuss what really went down as well as how the witch trials echoed through the McCarthy Era and the Satanic Panic. Plus, Simone’s “acting skills”, our high school performances of The Crucible, and whether kids today know what the Save icon is.
Praise, condemnation, questions, and witchcraft accusals can be sent to email@example.com.
- The Enochian Keys
- Hillary Clinton as Satan Fighting Jesus: Russia FB Ads Pitting Americans Against Each Other Exposed
- Pew’s study on religious demographics in the United States (We stated in the episode that non-Christian religions account for only 2% of the US population; in fact, it is 5.9%. We regret the error. It’s still a pretty damn small number, though.)
- Five myths about the Salem witch trials (including the ergot theory) by Stacy Schiff
- Book: The Witches by Stacy Schiff
- Book: In the Devil’s Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692 by Mary Beth Norton
- Play: The Crucible by Arthur Miller
- 21st Century Witch Hunts
GET IN TOUCH WITH BLACK MASS APPEAL
SATANIC BAY AREA
- Twitter (as @SatanicSF)
- Sign up for Satanic Bay Area’s newsletter
- On TikTok as DailyBaphirmations
- Coffee Hour is the third Thursday of every month from 6 – 8 pm at Wicked Grounds in San Francisco!